Monday, October 10, 2011

Babies on Motorcycles and Other Shocking Discoveries

As my time in Ecuador has now officially come to an end (as of today actually....I am currently writing this blog while on a layover in Houston),  I've been reflecting on my overall time there and have decided to do a blog about my shocking discoveries during my stay just as I did with the Republic of Georgia in my very first blog entry.

Shocker #1. Babies/Toddlers on Motorcycles. 
I can't recall the amount of times I've seen babies on motorcycles...and not only babies but entire families! Who knew 5 people could fit on a motorcycle? Most of the time, it's only a dad, a mom and a baby squished tightly (thank God) between them but I've also seen a dad, a mom, 2 children squished between them and a baby hanging off the side in mom's arms. This was a major shock at first but now it doesn't really phase me...which is not a good thing.
Caught them while at a stop light in Cuenca.


Shocker #2. Children Wearing Cannabis Gear.
I know this doesn't sound as serious as babies hanging off the side of motorcycles but it was still a shocker for me to see. While working at the Guarderia (Nursery), many of the children often had hats and backpacks with the Cannabis leaf. Now, why on earth would anybody put that get up on their child?? I figured that maybe marijuana was legal or common there but it is in fact illegal in Ecuador. So, this one still boggles me.

Shocker#3. $1 Eyebrow Waxing.
 Now, many of you may know that Ecuadorian beauty salon prices are super cheap, as I previously posted a picture on my Facebook with a list of some of the offered services and prices but a $1 eyebrow wax? Get out! A $2 or $3 eyebrow waxing is more commonly found but while in Vilcabamba (aka "The Valley of Longevity") I found a place that only charged $1. I mean, the woman was no Lisa (my waxing guru back home) but she did do a fine job, I must say.

Reminder of just how cheap the salons are. Translation: Cuts $1.5, Blow dry $3, Color from $5, Highlights from $5, Waves from $5, eyelashes $9, make up $3

Shocker#4. Gas Prices.
Two words...... SUPER CHEAP! Obviously, I don't have my vehicle here, but if I did.......that little Corolla would double as a Taxi! In fact, many people there do just that. It's common for people (mostly truck owners) to give others a lift in exchange for a little money. I personally would never trust that system if I was in the States....because these are ordinary people not official taxi drivers. But in Ecuador,  it's perfectly safe and is so very common.

Gas prices per gallon!


Shocker #5. Getting Charged To Use the Restroom. 
It's only 10 - 15 cents depending on where you are and not all places charge (it's mostly at bus terminals or outdoor markets). But still, getting charged to use the restroom? I don't wanna sound cheap, especially since everything else there is extremely affordable, but I think that it's a little crazy to have to pay to use the bathroom in a public location. Using the restroom 3 or 4 times a day at these places everyday starts to add up! I mean, I'd rather be getting an eyebrow wax instead of paying to use the restroom! I guess they gotta make their bucks some kinda way (God bless 'em). Anyway, for 10 - 15 cents you get a little bit of toilet paper and access to the restroom. Sometimes, they even try to charge you, if you just want to go in and wash your hands but that's hardly the case. As for the men, it's usually a few cents cheaper if they don't require any toilet paper.


Translation: Cost for using the toilet 15 cents

And that wraps up my shocking discoveries of Ecuador. Well, besides the breastfeeding incident I previously wrote about. That was definitely up there on my Shocker Radar as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment